The Academy’s Contemporary Program is taught by the city’s most experienced professionals. Contemporary is a dance style that draws from other philosophies of movement outside the realm of classical dance technique and searches for ease of movement using the body’s natural lines and energy allowing for a greater range and fluidity of movement than conventional dance techniques. Contemporary dance is characterized by its versatility and allows experienced dancers to push new boundaries of body movement.
Classes are based on modern and classical techniques encouraging dancers to explore floorwork, partner work, body isolations, improvisations and movement. Techniques are developed for students to pursue a range and fluidity of movement.
- execute steps studied in class time with strength and precise quality
- perform steps with flexibility and agility
- be able to hold their bodies in the correct alignment
- use the steps learned in class to enhance performance quality
- display a coordination of the body and mind while dancing
- incorporate artistry and expressiveness of movement with musicality and be able to interpret music with movement
Classes offered to: students in the Professional Ballet Division
Taught by: Lara Barclay